Friday, February 1, 2019

From the Archives - The Silent Partner (1978)

I would like to introduce something I call, "From the Archives"; these are films that I absolutely love and if you haven't seen them, then you really should.
So for my first film I'm going with something you might never have heard of, The Silent Partner (1978). This is a Canadian film that was shot in Toronto's Eaton Centre starting Elliott Gould, Christopher Plummer and Susannah York, featuring a cameo by the late, great (and in this film, very young) John Candy. Christopher Plummer plays the bad guy, and he comes across as truly evil - he is fantastic.
This is the first film I remember seeing Elliott Gould in and made a big impression upon me.
The Silent Partner is a bank heist picture. I'm a sucker for a good heist picture. I also love prison escape films. Maybe I just love cheering for the bad guys.
The biggest star of this movie though is Curtis Hanson's screenplay. Now if you don't know Curtis Hanson, (he passed away in 2016) he is the fellow who directed L.A. Confidential, Wonder Boys, and 8 Mile to name a few. The story and the dialogue are fast and at times, funny as hell. It's an extremely clever game of cat and mouse. The Silent Partner has brought me so much joy that I have watched it a least a dozen times over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment