Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Paterson (2016)

I'm going to write about Jim Jarmusch's new film, The Dead Don't Die, but before I do, I must talk about Paterson. I mentioned to a friend I was going to go see, The Dead Don't Die and she told me she was a big Jim Jarmusch fan. So I asked her, what did you think of Paterson? She hadn't even heard of it. How big a fan could she be, right? I don't blame her. She has two kids and a busy life. I miss stuff all the time from writers, directors, and musicians, which I consider myself to be a big-fan of. But it got me thinking, if she missed it, then likely many others did too.
So, if you haven't seen Jim Jarmusch's Paterson, starring Adam Driver and Golshifteh Farahani, you really owe it to yourself to do so.
Jim is an arty director. He makes arty movies. They might not be everyone's cup of tea, but they are mine. Paterson could be his best movie. It's certainly my favourite film he has every made. What's it about? It's about a bus driver who writes poetry (the poetry comes from real writer Ron Padgett). He lives with his wife, who wants to open a cupcake business. Paterson goes to work every day and eats the same thing for breakfast. He occasionally stops for a beer after work at the local watering hole and writes poems in his journal. Um, yeah, that's about it. It's slow and there are no bad guys or explosions. It's a thoughtful meditation on beauty and the beauty of words. It's about love and poetry. I adored this movie. I have nothing more to say. Go watch it.
Catch it on streaming services.

No comments:

Post a Comment