Sunday, December 27, 2020

The Outpost

What you need to know: This is based on a true story of an American army outpost in Northern Afghanistan in 2009. The outpost is a regular target by Taliban fighters - they seem to take daily pot-shots at the base; sometimes they get lucky, most often though, these Taliban fighters get picked off like Star Wars stormtroopers. There is a local Afghani who is helping the Americans. He often appears yelling, warning, "The Taliban are coming, the Taliban are coming!" This never-cry-wolf scenario plays itself out until, well, guess what, the Taliban show up. Big time. Then the battle happens which is what this movie is all about. I didn't think I would enjoy The Outpost because I thought it would be all rah-rah-America, a kind of, aren't-we-great movie. So I went in with low expectations. It's a bit rah-rah-America and I'm okay with that because let me tell you what this really is: It's an outstanding action picture. This is one of the best action pictures I've seen in a long time. The problem with all the super hero movies we are constantly inundated with is all the action that takes place, nobody really gets hurt. It's cartoon violence. When people get shot in this movie, well they are real people who could die - the stakes are high. I'm not familiar with director, Rod Lurie, but he has done a remarkable job with this film. If you want to see the best action film of the year, catch The Outpost on Netflix. 

No comments:

Post a Comment