Sunday, March 14, 2021

The White Tiger


 Full upfront confession, I didn't read the book. I believe there were at least two copies kicking around my house. Shame on me. However, I did watch the movie. And I loved it. What's it all about? It's about class relations in India. It's about a Balram Halwai (Adarsh Gourav) who wants to escape the poverty of his small town life and does so by becoming the driver for a rich family. One night, when the lady of the house insists on driving home, when she is drunk, she manages to kill a kid. There are no witnesses and Balram insists they leave the scene. They do. Later, the husband gets Balram to sign a legal document to say he was the one behind the wheel, just in case this comes back on his employers, just in case they get caught. It's a dark film. The film's canvas is big and it explores the Indian caste system juxtaposed against the moral American superiority spewed by Pinky (Priyanka Chopra) - the wife. Textured in is the American dream - rising up from nothing with hard work and determination - Vs the moral bankruptcy of those in power when the shit gets real - kill a kid, get the poor schmuck to take the blame. Lots going on. Adarsh Gouray should be nominated for an Oscar in my opinion. All that and it's a beautifully shot movie. Catch it on Netflix.  

No comments:

Post a Comment