Wednesday, April 20, 2022

We Need to Talk About Cosby

I'm white, if you didn't know (pretty much anyone reading my blog knows me personally, but just in case you didn't). I grew up in the 1970s and 80s in a pretty much white, middle to upper class community in Ottawa, Canada. I knew a total of five black kids by name and I was only really close with one. I think I was mature enough to understand the black people depicted on the TV show "Good Times" were, to a large extent, a truer representation of American black society in the 1970s - namely, poor and struggling. Then came along "The Cosby Show," a show where an American black family was depicted as not only, NOT poor, but well off, rich and educated. Dr. Heathcliff Huxtable (Bill Cosby) was a doctor and his wife Clair was a lawyer. The show depicted a family where there was a lot of love and laughter - white, black, brown, etc., it didn't matter what colour you were, everyone wanted to have a joyous home like the Huxtables had. I understood the importance of the show for black audiences in America. It's important to have yourself represented in a place of power and authority so people know it's achievable. 
I grew up on Cosby. I watched the cartoon show "Fat Albert" and loved it. I saw Cosby on "The Electric Company," in Jell-O ads, and in Coke ads, and then in "The Cosby Show." Bill Cosby was loved by everyone.
Unlike Harvey Weinstein and Michael Jackson, rumours of sexual misconduct hadn't been swirling around Bill Cosby for years, or at least not in the same public way as the other two. Everyone suspected Jackson was into kids and Weinstein was known for his casting couch. But it wasn't until 2014 that I heard anything bad about Bill Cosby. Drugging and raping of women? Shocking. Disappointing. This, this couldn't be true, could it?
Welcome to the four part, documentary series on the life and times of Bill Cosby. 
It's tough but important viewing. It showcases not only all Bill did for black actors, black stunt performers, kids, comedians, comedy, and North American black culture, but it chronicles the five decades of drugging and raping Bill Cosby did to the 60 women who have come forward. The victim count might well be double that, or more. This documentary is a survivors' diary. It's brutal and traumatic. 
Michael Jackson is dead but his music still plays on the radio - I have a tough time with that. Weinstein is in jail, his Miramax company is destroyed; people still watch Miramax films, or at least I do (I cringe when I see his name in the credits). Bill Cosby is out of jail and nobody is watching the Cosby show. Catch this powerful series on Showtime/CRAVE. 

No comments:

Post a Comment