Thursday, June 20, 2024

Stalker

When I first heard about Andrei Tarkovsky, it was in the context of his film "Solaris" (1972). Somebody (I don't recall who) said, "Do you know there is a Russian film which is the equivalent to Stanley Kubrick's "2001: A Space Odyssey?" Back in the early 1990s, there was no streaming. DVDs weren't even a thing! Films such as "Solaris" were not commonplace. I managed to find a two-cassette VHS package of the 166 minutes film for sale at HVM - it might have been Music World. Regardless, I bought it immediately. I watched this masterpiece with awe and reverence. It was remade by Steven Soderbergh in 2002 - not as good as the original - sorry Steven. For whatever reason, it never occurred to me to seek out other films by Tarkovsky. Seems like I was foolish. Which brings me to my friend Peter, owner of Movies 'N' Stuff. When he said on his Criterion Closet Video, he would pick Tarkovsky's "Stalker" over "Solaris" I was like, "What? He made more than one great film?" Tarkovsky has made many. "Stalker" is a science fiction film about three men going into the Zone, a forbidden place, walled off and which must be snuck into. The men are looking for The Room, which will grant their deepest desires. It's a slow and meditative film filled with poetry and existential contemplation. It's also a masterclass lesson on how to create tension in a scene out of nothing. Alex Garland's fabulous film, "Annihilation" I think owes a debt to "Stalker." This 2 hour and 42 minute slow moving Russian film flew by for me. Equally as good as "Solaris" and if you are a film lover, you need to watch it. Find it on the Criterion channel or if you are in Ottawa, rent it at Movies 'n Stuff | (moviesnstuff.com).

1 comment:

  1. Oddly enough, I wasn't in love with Solaris. I thought it was good, but when it comes to Tarkovsky, I'd put it pretty far down the list. I know people disagree, but there are films like Ivan's Childhood, The Mirror and The Sacrifice which I much preferred.

    ReplyDelete