Monday, March 25, 2019

Isle of Dogs

The first Wes Anderson film I saw was Rushmore; I loved it. Then came The Royal Tenenbaums, which I thought was weird and quirky, but lacked emotional depth; it was just okay. And it wasn't all that funny. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou was awful. I can't remember if I made it to the end; painful. Moonrise Kingdom I turned off after the first twenty minutes. What I had once found to be charming about Wes Anderson was now annoying. I thought The Grand Budapest Hotel was Wes's best outing in a while. So it was with great reluctance and pessimism I went into my viewing of Isle of Dogs - I didn't want to like it. It turns out I loved it. Wes Anderson's weird and quirky ways completely work in animation. Maybe all of his films would be better if they were animated.
I had so much fun watching this goofy and ridiculous film - maybe because I'm a dog owner. Bryan Cranston as Chief was wonderful; his performance had bite - pun intended. If you are looking for something light and fun, adopt this dog. Catch it on streaming services.



No comments:

Post a Comment