Wednesday, September 29, 2021

The Green Knight


 I don't like Lord of the Rings. There, I said it. I appreciate the level of detail, the costumes, the look of the films, and to some extent, some of the performances. And Gollum. Everyone likes Gollum. But no, I thought the whole thing was dreadfully dull. So, when I saw the trailer for The Green Knight, I thought, no, I don't think so. But it got really good reviews but audiences hated it. Then I was somewhat intrigued. I watched. I didn't realize until after the director is David Lowery, the gentleman who brought us Ghost Story (with Casey Affleck). Lowery is a director who plays with time. He shows us possibilities, sometime over decades or more, then rolls us back to the present so we may proceed again on a different path; time lapse trickery. Time, mortality, and honour are the themes of The Green Knight, a far more adult version of a knight's quest. And let me tell you, it's a beautiful film. I mean really gorgeous to look at. I was deeply surprised how much I like this film. Dev Patel (Lion) who plays the lead, is really excellent. Come for the aesthetics, stay for the meditation on mortality and have an adventure along the way. Catch it in the theatre if you can, otherwise on streaming services.   

No comments:

Post a Comment