Monday, March 6, 2023

All Quiet on the Western Front

So this was the last Oscar nominated film I had to watch in the Best Picture category. I saved it to the end because I was dreading to watch it. I didn't like "1917" and I didn't care for "Dunkirk." That and I had seen the original film and read the novel in high school. I was convinced it would be a waste of my time and it would bore me for the almost two an half hour runtime. I was so wrong. If I had seen it last year, it would have been on my top ten list of best films of 2022. Have you looked at the paintings of Rembrandt? Edward Berger, the film's director has delivered a visual masterpiece - each shot is a work of art, its own Rembrandt if you will. It's a stunning film. With the pointless invasion of Ukraine happening right now, this feels every so relevant. 17 million people died in World War I - for what? The absurdities, the unfounded patriotism built on propaganda and lies, and the brutality of war are all on full display here as we follow Paul (Felix Kammerer) through battle after brutal battle. The film is grizzly and gorgeous. I was captivated for its entirety. Easily one of the best films of 2022. Catch this film now streaming on Netflix. 

No comments:

Post a Comment