Sunday, July 16, 2023

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One

So the last Mission Impossible film, Fallout, (the 6th in the series) to my utter surprise, made my top ten list of 2018. This series started back in 1996 with Brian De Palma as the director. If you told me it would still be going in 2023 and that it would be not only good, but amazing, I would have scoffed. But here we are. Welcome to what is likely to be the best action movie of 2023. I have watched so many action movies, so to impress me with a car chase, well it’s a rare thing. “Mission Impossible: Dead reckoning” (the 7th film) impressed me greatly. Contrast it with “John Wick 4,” a boring, relentless action picture that never stops to breathe - hence we don’t care about anything or anyone. “Mission Impossible” has moments of rest, characters grow; and it has a cast of likeable characters, played by Simon Pegg, Ving Rhames, and Rebecca Ferguson. What’s it all about? A chatgpt like super computer entity has become sentient and whoever can control it can control the world! There are two pieces of a physical key that unlock something, and that something will control the entity - the MacGuffin! Tom Cruise and his band of merry force hunt for their key. It’s ridiculous but it’s also a ton of fun. Enough reading, go catch this one on a big IMAX screen. In theatres now.

No comments:

Post a Comment