Thursday, June 29, 2023

Lynch/Oz

"Lynch/Oz" is for hardcore film geeks and/or David Lynch fans. If you aren't one of these people, you can stop reading and give this film a skip. If you are still with me, then let's get our geek on! I'm not a hardcore David Lynch fan. I confess, I have never watched "Twin Peaks" - I know, I know. However I have loved a good body of his work, "The Elephant Man," "Blue Velvet," "The Straight Story." and "Lost Highway." For this film, it's more than enough. "Lynch/Oz" is a nerd documentary broken into six video essays by six different individuals. It compares and contrasts Lynch's work to the "Wizard of Oz." I realize this sounds a tad dry and maybe for some, it will be. However the documentary is far more than just this. It's more about story templates and a small history of film in relation to the Wizard of Oz and other films. There is so much other film stuff discussed that even if you aren't a die hard Lynch fan, your inner film nerd will be delighted. It reminded me a little of Mark Cousins's "The Story of Film." So grab a cold Pabst Blue Ribbon (Heineken, you know what you can do with that) and follow the yellow dotted lost highway line to Oz, all your dork cinephile friends will be waiting there for you. Catch this in a rep theatre near you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment