Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Society of the Snow

J.A. Bayona (who gave us "The Impossible") has crafted a gripping and visceral account of the 1972 plane crash of the Uruguayan rugby team in the Andes mountains. The crash landing will haunt you. I'm an atheist, vegetarian, who hates the snow. I don't think I would fair so well in the snowy mountains of the Andes. I haven't watched the 1993 version of this story, entitled "Alive," so I have nothing to compare it against. Not a whole lot to eat in the snowy mountains - "I see dead people" to borrow a "Sixth Sense" phrase. Things go "Soylent Green" pretty quickly as time moves very slowly. These people were trapped for months in brutal conditions, starving. It's horrific. When the rescue does finally come, I was moved to tears - what an ordeal. There is a scene where two of the characters ask each other what is the point of it all - there is no real answer. Why should you watch? It's another example of our built in drive to survive. This is who we are as humans; good society goes out the window quickly when your life depends on it. Catch this nail biter (maybe the whole finger - tastes like chicken (too soon?)) now streaming on Netflix. 

No comments:

Post a Comment