Monday, January 15, 2024

The Bear - Season 2

I have never written about a show twice, until now. You can read my first review here: "The Bear." I'm uncertain why I waited so long to watch the second season. For reasons unexplained, I waited until after the Golden Globes where Jeremy Allen White won Best male actor in a TV series – musical or comedy, for the second year in a row! Ayo Edebiri won for Best female actor in a TV series – musical or comedy for her role as Sydney. And where Ebon Moss–Bachrach was nominated (but sadly didn't win) for his role as cousin Richie. Richie is my favourite character on the show - he is loveable and flawed and heartbreaking. "The Bear" won for Best TV series – musical or comedy. The Golden Globes kicked me into watching season 2.

"Breaking Bad" is my favourite show of all time. I loved it. I still love it. However, "The Bear" might now be tied with it, on the verge of surpassing it. Season 1 was good. Season 2 is mind-blowing phenomenally good. What's it all about? Season two focuses on The Beef, the long time Chicago sandwich diner, becoming a high end restaurant, The Bear. It's the transformation of the physical space but more importantly it's the mental transformation of the staff. It also offers us deep insight into the backstory of why this family is the way it is. Episode 6, "Fishes" - this guest star-studded episode I think scarred me. It was so raw and wild and it left me breathless and emotionally wrecked. Episode 7 "Forks" about cousin Richie was even better. And the final episode of the season, 10 "The Bear" had me on the verge of a panic attack for the first half and then punched me emotionally for the second half. Wild. I LOVED THIS. Streaming on Hulu, streaming on Disney. Go watch it now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment