Tuesday, February 6, 2024

American Nightmare

My wife and I have been watching true crimes shows together for over twenty years. Friday or Saturday nights often included "Unsolved Mysteries" or "Dateline." Now it seems Netflix has cornered the market on TV true crime. These docuseries or documentaries are usually pretty good but they often get repetitive. Spouse killing spouse, affair boyfriend killing husband, affair turned into a "Fatal Attraction" style killing; we have seen it all before. There isn't a whole lot new. Like a serial killer looking to up his game, "American Nightmare" has done it. When my wife suggested we watch, it was with great reluctance and some mild protest ("Oh god, not another one") but I finally agreed. We binged all three episodes of this short true crime miniseries. Fascinating. This is home invasion/kidnapping. It was the media's, police's, and the FBI's responses which I found the most fascinating  and shocking - including my own biases I brought to the table. There is no handbook on how people act or should act when they have been violently attacked. The year prior to this "Gone Girl" had been released and it seemed to have played deeply into the psyche of America and into all those involved in this case; most troubling, law enforcement. Fascinating. Emotional. Powerful. Catch one of best of the true crime series I've seen in a while, now streaming on Netflix. 

No comments:

Post a Comment