Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Le Trou (The Hole)

Recommend by Peter Thompson from Movies 'N' Stuff, Ottawa's #1 video store! This was his first Criterion closet pick (His Video here). I confess, I had never watched it until just recently based on his recommendation - when Peter says a movie is good, you should listen! So, what's it all about? It's a French film from 1960 and four men are planning an escape and a fifth man joins their crowded cell. "The Great Escape" is one of my favourite films of all time. I'm a sucker for prison escape films. "The Shawshank Redemption," and "Escape from Alcatraz" float high in my film list. Stallone's "Lock Up" is far underrated if you ask me. As is Ray Liotta's "No Escape." Like I said, I love these films. Add "Le Trou" to the pile. It holds your attention because you get to witness the gritty details of digging, like you were there with these men - it feels real. Considering this came out in 1960, the realism depicted feels like it was ahead of it's time and still feels fresh 54 years later. Catch of one the best prison escape films streaming on the Criterion channel or go rent it from Movie 'N' Stuff here in Ottawa.  

No comments:

Post a Comment