Wednesday, August 28, 2024

Strange Darling

Last year, "The Passenger" made my honourable mention list of the best films of 2023 because of the performance of Kyle Gallner, an actor I had never heard of before. His performance in that film was so good it elevated the material from a C to a B+, almost landing the whole picture to full blog entry. Well I'm happy to report, Mr. Gallner is back again this year in one of the most fun thrillers of the year. And his onscreen dancing partner in "Strange Darling" is Willa Fitzgerald, another powerhouse. I would love to see her get a nomination for some shiny award for her work in this one. What's it all about? I will tell you nothing except it's like a Tarantino style thriller if crossed with "Memento." The screwy order of the film really helps to keep the audience engaged and thinking. I think you could argue it's a cheap gimmick but I thought it was brilliant. This movie is pop rock candy, a bloody nose of cocaine. The dialogue and supporting characters are quirky - did I mention Barbra Hershey is in it? She is! This is all you need to know. Go hunt this one down in a theatre near you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment