Monday, October 14, 2024

Woman of the Hour

Anna Kendrick. When I thought of that name I used to think: bubbly, smart, charming, rom-com type of girl. After seeing her in "The Accountant" (one of my favourite action films in the last few decades) and in "Up in the Air," my thoughts of Anna Kendrick began to change. This is a girl capable of bigger things and seems to desire more serious material. Well now, after "Woman of the Hour" I have a whole new and deepened respect for Ms. Kendrick. David Fincher has set the bar for serial killer movies, in my book. Do we need another one? Ms. Kendrick felt we did and after watching "Woman of the Hour" I can't say she is wrong. Women, so I have read, are the main consumers of true crime fiction. Maybe that's because men are dangerous and Ms. Kendrick would very much like to remind of us of that fact. There are few scenes from this film which have haunted me since it's viewing. Dark stuff here. What's it all about? It's the true story of rapist and murderer, Rodney Alcala (Daniel Zovatto) as he sets foot on The Dating Game as one of three suitors for Cheryl Bradshaw(Anna Kendrick). It's also about the women Alcala meets and kills along the way, told in a jumping timeline. Anna Kendrick may not be Fincher (who is?), but she can hold her own and has proven she is capable of a lot more than maybe people thought (myself included). This is an engrossing thriller. Catch it in theatres now.   

No comments:

Post a Comment