Tuesday, October 1, 2024

The Idea of You

Goddamn it, I didn't want to like this movie. A romantic-comedy-drama with Anna Hathaway. I mean come on, I watch films, not this nonsense. Ah, who am I kidding, I pretty much watch everything to bring you this blog of only the best stuff. I wade through the Hollywood trash dump and occasionally I find a treasure. Like "Pretty Woman," "The Idea of You" is a gem found in a toilet bowl of romantic comedies.  Nicholas Galitzine plays Hayes, a world famous 24 year old star in a boy band. He accidently runs into Solène (Hathaway) who has taken her daughter to see Hayes' group perform at Coachella. This is the goofy setup. Paparazzo, internet gossip, dealing with an ex-husband and juggling a teenager: it all fuels the comedic fire of, "The Idea of You." If this sounds pedestrian and stereotypical of the genre, well it is. But here is the thing, it doesn't feel so by the numbers and I'm not exactly sure why. I think it's co-writer and director Michael Showalter's really smart script and the fabulous performances of the two leads. They have steamy chemistry for sure. I found myself sucked into their relationship like a soap opera, waiting to see how it would all play out. Will it win any awards? Absolutely not. Well maybe a Golden Globe nod. Will you enjoy yourself? I think so. Catch it steaming and streaming on Prime or catch it on video when it gets released.    

No comments:

Post a Comment