Monday, August 17, 2026
Mary Oliver: Saved by the Beauty of the World
The opening shot is of Stephen Colbert trying to read The Summer Day by Mary Oliver. He seems verklempt, almost unable to read it, his emotions so strong, like the words were made from thumbtacks of love and beauty, to speak them is to have an emotional experience unlike anything else. I was sold from the opening shot. So, I know a lot of Canadian poets, personally. I also have read lots of our famous ones and not so famous ones. I confess, I have not read the works of Mary Oliver. I will rectify this in time. Mary Oliver: Saved by the Beauty of the World is a documentary about the life and times of, you guessed it, Mary Oliver. She was an American poet who was gay and spent most of her life living with her photographer wife, Molly Cook in Provincetown, Massachusetts. Filmmaker John Waters, with his signature pencil-thin moustache, was their friend and neighbour and has some extremely amusing commentary on Mary and Molly. Mary won the Pulitzer Prize for Poetry in 1984 for her fourth poetry collection, American Primitive. She won the National Book Award in 1992 for her ninth collection. These awards shot her to superstar status, but Mary really didn't want any of it. She was an introvert and loved spending time outdoors and wrote about it. Nature was her candy. It's simply a lovely documentary, and what makes it special is listening to famous and non-famous alike read Oliver's words and describe how much her work has meant to them, and in some cases, changed, or even saved their lives. "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver. The answer: Go to the movies, of course! Catch this screening now at the Mayfair or rent it when available from Movies 'N Stuff.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment