Sunday, July 24, 2022

Hustle

Adam Sandler. There hasn't been a lot I've loved. There has been a few films I really enjoyed; "The Wedding Singer," "50 First Dates," "Click," "Spanglish." I loved him in "Uncut Gems." He followed that up with a Netflix Halloween film, "Hubie Halloween" - I didn't watch it because it looked dreadful. This is Sandler's latest, "Hustle." I'm sure I've told you a bunch of times, I'm a sucker for underdog sports films. So here we go again. Sandler plays, Stanley Sugerman, a man who's sports career was sidelined by an injury and now he travels the globe as a talent scout for the Philadelphia 76ers. His secondary dream of coaching also gets sidelined, forcing him back out on the road to find a prospect. He finds Bo Cruz (Juancho Hernangomez) sitting around in Spain hustling pick-up basketball for money in a grimy working class neighbourhood. This kid is Stanley's ticket back to the NBA and for Bo Cruz, this is his "Rocky" golden-ticket chance to change his life. Yes, the film has a training montage. Yes, just when you think it's going to be okay, back to the bottom you go. You have seen it all before but "Hustle" has got a few fresh moves and it's one of Sandler's best roles to date. Catch this three pointer on Netflix. 

No comments:

Post a Comment