Sunday, July 24, 2022

Nope

Okay, I admit it, I was disappointed. What a way to start a review about films I recommend! But wait, hear me out. So, when Jordan Peele released "Get Out," I thought it was good but I didn't love it the way some reviewers did. I watched it again at the Mustang Drive In in Prince Edward County and liked it much more the second time. Then came "Us." I really liked it - it made the blog! So I had high expectations for "Nope," largely due to the trailer. I think Peele is just as an important film maker for black culture as Spike Lee has been, and Peele is as good creatively on the horror front as M. Night Shyamalan. So Peele has raised the bar high. I think I set it too high in my mind. This is Peele's third film and he swung for the fences. He almost made it - and for that, he makes the blog. "Nope" is one of the most interesting films of 2022 and it's full of great imagery which has stuck with me long after the movie ended. What's it all about? It's about OJ Haywood (Daniel Kaluuya) and his sister Emerald Haywood (Keke Palmer) who runs a horse business for Hollywood. There is something in the sky and Emerald wants to get it captured on film - get rich off of it. At the neighbouring ranch, Ricky Park (Steven Yeun) also has a similar idea, but he wants to sell tickets to see the thing in the clouds, make it a show - sell alien toy dolls and slushy drinks. Well it doesn't work out well for anyone. There is also a back story about a chimpanzee named Gordy. It was my favourite part of the film and I won't say anymore about it. I suspect I will like "Nope" more the second time I watch it. Catch this sci-fi Western in theatres while you can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment