Monday, September 5, 2022

Emily the Criminal

I love heist pictures. I don't remember the last one I saw that I enjoyed as much as I did with "Emily the Criminal." If pressed, "Drive" would be the last one which might compare. What's it all about? It's about Emily (Aubrey Plaza - who is fabulous) who is saddled with almost unmanageable student debt, who works at a food catering business delivering eats to office parties and the like. She can't seem to get ahead because she has a DUI and an assault charge sticking to her like a sign saying "Do not hire this woman." Her co-worker offers her a number to call for $200 for an hours work to thank her for covering his shift. She calls. Turns out it's to buy a TV with a stolen credit card. She does it, gets the money, then they offer her more. More money, higher stakes. Emily and one of her new criminal bosses, Youcef (Theo Rossi) form a relationship as Emily embraces the life of credit card fraud. All good things must come to an end - and the end is great. I loved "Emily the Criminal" and was glued to it. Catch this one in rep cinemas before it gets away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment