Monday, August 21, 2023

Shrinking

I have no idea why I didn't watch it sooner. I loved Jason Segel's last series, "Dispatches from Elsewhere." And Harrison Ford, my childhood movie action hero was who has starred in some of my favourite films. Why did I wait so long to watch this? I think it's because I didn't want to be disappointed. Perhaps mediocre "Star Wars" and "Indiana Jones" squeals played into my subconscious. Maybe that and Apple+ has made a bunch of things, only which "Ted Lasso," "Shining Girls," and "Servant" I have enjoyed. And I gave up Ted in the 3rd season. Well I'm happy to report, "Shrinking" is a fabulous new series; smart, witty, and pretty dark. It's about grief and trauma and despite the heavy themes, it remains feeling light - I believe it's the charming and slightly goofy soundtrack they laid over it like a Band-Aid. Harrison Ford plays a lovable curmudgeon and Jason Segel is a man in mourning trying to sort out his relationship with his daughter. The writing in this show is excellent; earnest, witty, cutting, and bloody clever. Catch one of best things Apple+ has put out. "Shrinking" - streaming on, you guessed it, Apple+.

No comments:

Post a Comment