Friday, August 4, 2023

Sympathy for the Devil

It was when I watched the first and second season of AMC's "The Killing" that I developed my man-crush on Swedish born actor, Joel Kinnaman. I thought to myself, this guy is an amazing actor. Kinnaman is one half of "Sympathy for the Devil." The other half is Nicolas Cage. Everyone knows Cage. He's known for his over the top, crazy performances. So you might chalk up this performance as just that, just another wackadoodle one. I would argue it's not. Cage looks like he has lost weight for this role (hopefully intentionally). It gives him a mean look. I think his boyish face, besides from granting him the appearance of youth, had never giving him the gravitas I think catapults other actors into the spotlight. So I think the leanness of Cage's face (not to mention the flamboyant hair!), but also the leanness of the manic energy Cage expels, a kind of powder-keg waiting to blow, makes this performance one of his best since "Pig."  What's this movie all about? Two guys in a car with a possible case of mistaken identity. I don't want to say any more. It's a violent thriller and I loved it. You may have seen this story before but this version, it's a killer. Catch a ride with "Sympathy for the Devil" in theatres or soon on streaming services.   

No comments:

Post a Comment