Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Birth/Rebirth

If you told me David Cronenberg had made this movie as a modern remake of Re-Animator, I would almost believe you. Almost. It's far too feminine for Cronenberg, despite all the surgical shenanigans, autopsies, stapled incisions, and science beakers full of bloody liquids. Yes, "Birth/Rebirth" doesn't shy away like some stereotypical 60s housewife who nicked her thumb slicing a cucumber ("Is it bad? I can't look at it, I hate the sight of blood.") This is co-writer and director Laura Moss's first feature length film and she doesn't seem to be shy at all about showing us the insides of people. She certainly left a scar on me. What's it all about? Obstetrics nurse Rita (Monique Gabriela Curnen) loses her daughter to meningitis but mad-scientist/doctor, Rose (Marin Ireland) helps bring Rita's daughter back to life using her own aborted fetuses - as I'm typing this, I realize how insane and gross this sounds. Well it is and I loved it. Welcome to the fertile imagination of Laura Moss. She has birthed out a Frankenstein nightmare of pregnancy and motherhood. It's a tale about how far mothers would go to save their children; in the case of Rita, her actual child and in the case of Rose, her child of a science experiment. Marin Ireland as Rose, the wide-eyed, vegan, genius-on-the-spectrum, mad-scientist is so much fun to watch. The film is too small and likely won't get noticed but I would love to see Marin Ireland get a nomination for her performance. Do yourself a favour and get reborn - catch this one streaming now on Shudder.  

No comments:

Post a Comment