Thursday, September 7, 2023

Mob Land

"Dog Day Afternoon," "The Silent Partner," "Heat," "Blood Simple," "No Country For Old Men," "Hell or Highwater," "Good Time.," "Dragged Across Concrete" - these are some of my favourite heist pictures. Now "Mob Land" is on that list. I said it before (when I reviewed "Old Henry") and I will say it again, "I will watch anything Stephen Dorff participates in. If he feels like it's a worthy project, I'm in." This is co-writer and director, Nicholas Maggio's debut feature film and he has exploded onto the screen like a shotgun blast. The plot: Shelby (Shiloh Fernandez), who is scrapping to get by, is convinced by his brother-in-law Trey (Kevin Dillon) to rob a dodgy Oxycodone clinic in their small town. The problem is the dodgy clinic is owned by the mob and they send Clayton (Stephen Dorff) to get the money back. Travolta plays the town sheriff and is the uncle of Shelby. Dorff is absolutely riveting every single time he is on screen and is worthy of a best supporting nomination. Hell, so is Travolta - I loved him in this. And the dialogue in this movie is like Tarantino meets Jean-Paul Sartre. I am simply jealous of how good the writing for this movie was. And the music choices! Bravo. I'm certain this film will make my top ten of 2023. Catch it on streaming services or in a rep theatre near you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment