Monday, December 4, 2023

Joyland

"Joyland" - there is really no clearer example of why I go to the movies. This is a film that is so wildly different from my life and yet I was so clearly made to understand everything happening to these characters, the repression in their society and the cultural expectations placed upon them. I understood it like it were a roadmap. Repressed feeling are just that - these things are universal. So are expectations and obligations. I felt all of it in this weighty film. There is not a lot a joy in "Joyland." This Pakistani film is both beautiful and heartbreaking. Set in contemporary Pakistan, it follows the story of  Haider (Ali Junejo) as a man who finally lands a job - he has been a house husband for many years to the shame of his father. However, Haider's new job is a backup dancer for surly trans woman, Biba (Alina Khan) at the local burlesque club. Haider is infatuated with Biba. They end up having an affair. At the same time, Haider's wife suddenly finds herself pregnant and unhappy. Haider's father is elated. Everything goes downhill from here. Let me stop there. It almost felt like a documentary, that's how real it all felt to me. It's a wonderful film. The IMDB website informed me "Originally banned in its country of origin, Pakistan, a censor board review committee ultimately cleared it. However, a ban remains in the province of Punjab, where the movie is set." Catch this gorgeous but tragic film at your local rep cinema or on streaming when available. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment