Monday, December 25, 2023

Squaring the Circle: The Story of Hipgnosis

I'm a Gen-Xer. I grew up in the 80s but I loved the music of the 60s and 70s. In my day, we had records. Album cover art was just that, it was ART. The album covers were part of the reason you bought the record. "Squaring the Circle: The Story of Hipgnosis" is the fascinating documentary about Hipgnosis, a record design company and its two founders, Storm Thorgerson and Aubrey "Po" Powel. They are the creative geniuses behind the covers of some of the world's most iconic rock albums of all time: Pink Floyd, Wings, Led Zeppelin, Peter Gabriel and many, many more. There are interviews with Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, Roger Waters, David Gilmour, Paul McCartney, Noel Gallagher, and many others. If you every wanted to know how these album covers came to be, this documentary is the answer and boy did I find it captivating. It's also the story of the relationship between Po and Strom and how these two would work together. Their story is one of artists, visionaries, and collaborators as they worked with these legendary musical artists. At the end, I found myself rather emotional about their partnership - always a good sign for me. Catch this absolutely wonderful documentary on streaming platforms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment