Saturday, February 15, 2020

Taylor Swift: Miss Americana

The first film of 2020 going on the blog is, Taylor Swift: Miss Americana. Yes, I'm as surprised as you are. There lots of musical biopics (Walk the Line, Coal Miner's Daughter), rock documentaries (Woodstock, A Band Called Death), rock mockumentaries (This Is Spinal Tap, FUBAR), fictional musical stories (Hard Core Logo, Vox Lux) and even movie music musicals (Moulin Rouge!) - So do we really need to see one more bloody musical documentary on Taylor Swift?? Yes we do! Let me start by saying I've never been a huge Taylor Swift fan. I've enjoyed some of her later musical offerings. I have seen her perform some moving and beautiful songs that I didn't know she was capable of. She surprised me. What was the most eye-opening thing about the documentary was everyone's bias, including my own. Not in my wildest dreams did I think Swift wrote her own songs. She does. Why did I think she didn't? Because she is blonde, thin, and pretty? Can someone be blonde, thin, pretty, and talented? Apparently so - I should know better. Swift started out with talent, drive, and the greatest of desires, to be loved by strangers. She wanted nothing more than to be a star. Then came along Kanye West. Remember when he got up and stole the mic from Taylor Swift at the 2009 MTV award show? That single act had a profound effect on Ms Swift, more than anyone knows. As much as it was wrong, and it was wrong, it may have been the best thing to have happened to her. It threw her into a dark place, a place of deep introspection. It may have been awful for her, but we, her adoring public, are getting deeper, better music as a result. We got this documentary and I'm applauding, Taylor. I'm standing and applauding, so take a bow. Listen to this one on Netflix.

No comments:

Post a Comment