Monday, November 15, 2021

The Last Duel


The Last Duel is, so far, my favourite picture of 2021. If that's not a good enough reason to go see it then let me tell you you it was directed by Ridley Scott, who is one of my favourite directors (Blade Runner being the greatest film of all time). If this were not enough reason to go out and see The Last Duel, then how about the fact that it was written by Oscar winners, Ben Affleck and Matt Damon (and Nicole Holofcener this time too). Ben and Matt didn't win for acting, they won for writing. Good Will Hunting is one of the reasons I became a writer - I thought if these guys can win an Oscar for writing, why can't I? (Hey! I'm still working on it. I will get there - sit tight). Anyway, what's it all about? Based on a true story, let's call it the #metoo of the 14th Century. It's a story told from three different perspectives in a similar way the TV show The Affair gave us different points of view. I’m not a huge fan of period pieces and I loved this. It's gripping, exciting, well written, well acted, and it looks impeccable. Go out and watch what is likely the best film of the year.   

No comments:

Post a Comment