Saturday, November 20, 2021

VAL

If you don't like Val Kilmer, then this isn't for you. I've liked him since I watched Top Secret!. I thought he was genius as Jim Morrison in Oliver Stone's The Doors. I loved him in Michael Mann's Heat and later in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang with Robert Downey Jr. If you haven't seen the movie Felon, check it out. But I think my favourite Val role was as Doc Holiday in one of my favourite Westerns, Tombstone.

I was having lunch this summer on a patio and the subject of Val Kilmer came up. Somebody told me, you know he has throat cancer, can't speak anymore, don't you? I didn't know. Which explained why I hadn't been seeing him in any recent films. Shortly after, maybe a week later, I noticed, VAL, on Amazon - a documentary about Val Kilmer by Val Kilmer. So I watched. When Val begins to narrate his own story, I was baffled; I thought he couldn't speak, or speak well? Val's son Jack, who sounds exactly like Val, narrates this poignant, warts-and-all biography of his star father. Val has had a very interesting life, not all of it easy. He may continue to do some acting, but he will never be able to do the the same kind of work which I so admired him for. That's okay, because this is a portrait of a grateful man, lucky enough to have gifted us some tremendous performances, performances which are continued to be loved by fans wherever he goes. If you want to have some intimate personal time with the star, check out VAL on Amazon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment