Sunday, February 13, 2022

American Underdog: The Kurt Warner Story

Full confession, I'm an atheist and I know very little about sports - any knowledge I do possess was likely garnered by watching sports movies. I had no idea who Kurt Warner was until I watched American Underdog. In fact I don't think I could name more than five football players -hey, I watch movies, not sports. Anyway, besides from being a sucker for a good zombie film or a heist picture, I do love me a good underdog sports film. This one follows the playbook and even has Dennis Quaid (the litany of underdog sports movies Dennis has been in, "Soul Suffer," "The Rookie," "Born a Champion," - Kevin Costner took all the other ones). If you don't know the playbook, it's sports hero has dream (to play in the NFL), hero meets girl (Anna Paquin as a single mom of two kids, one blind). The hero must prove himself to his girl and himself to the world. He is faced with adversity at every turn and when you think he has finally made it, bam, back to the bottom you go. But this time, this time is going to be different. Our hero wins, then end. Yes, American Underdog is cliched and god loving, but I still enjoyed it. Kurt Warner's story is a remarkable one and if his belief in Jesus helped him achieve his dream, who am I to piss on that - enjoy your Jesus. If you are looking for an underdog sports movie, and you enjoyed films like "Invincible" then "American Underdog" will get you across the finish line. 

No comments:

Post a Comment