Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Drive My Car


 Artsy, reflective, existential. This is a story of losses, triumphs, jealousy and carrying on in the face of tragedy, betrayal, and/or grief - how our own guilt can propel us forward. What's it all about? The nuts and bolts are essentially an accomplished actor/director, Yûsuke Kafuku (Hidetoshi Nishijima) is hired to direct a stage play; the casting; the rehearsing, etc. The company who hired him requires Yûsuke to have a driver, Misaki Watari (Tôko Miura) to chauffer him around in his own car for liability and insurance reasons - hence the title "Drive My Car." It is the relationship and shared grief and guilt of Yûsuke and Misaki which is at the heart of the movie. This Oscar nominated film, with a three hour running time, will not be everyone's cup of tea, however for me the time flew by and it's the kind of existential meditation I often go to the cinema for. Sometime I go for zombies and helicopter chases, often I go for quiet beauty, reflection, and something a little deeper. If you are looking for a long meditative drive, catch this one in theatres near you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment