Sunday, February 27, 2022

The Worst Person in the World


When my friend Paul asked me on Facebook if I liked this movie, I quickly answered, very much so. When I asked him, he replied with "a bit slow but quirky, thought provoking. . . and other good stuff." Short but apt. What's it all about? It's about Julie (Renate Reinsve) a girl in her late twenties, early thirties trying to find herself. She has daddy issue, at least according to her comic book artist boyfriend, Aksel (Danielsen Lie). Julie does things on whims, not caring about consequences - it's part of her charm and part of the reason you might find yourself upset with her choices. When she crashes a party and meets another love interest, Eivind (Herbert Nordrum) the sexual tension is enough to freeze time. If you were to take Richard Linklater's "Before Sunrise" trilogy and boil it down and add the magic realism of "Amélie" and a love triangle, you would get "The Worst Person in the World." The conversations and the experiences (taking mushrooms) reminded me of my own journey through my 20s and 30s. It's a comedy, a drama, and a tragedy. . .  and other good stuff. Catch this film in a rep cinema near you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment