Saturday, August 17, 2019

Crawl

Jaws is one of my favorite films of all time. I must have seen it close to twenty times (I know, ridiculous but true). There have been a lot of rip-offs over the years, some of which I have enjoyed (Piranha 3D, Lake Placid, Open Water) and some I have not (The Meg, Jaws: The Revenge). Love them or hate them, none of them are Jaws, which to me is the gold standard of water monster movies. I'm a sucker for these types of films; Jurassic Park, Alien, The Thing (remake), Halloween. The premise is simple, some monster comes along and starts killing people and people run like hell to get away. Well done, it's suspenseful riveting stuff - the celluloid equivalent to a rollercoaster. Crawl, thankfully, is well done. OMG did I have fun with this one. I was bitten from the opening credits. The open shots are of Haley (Kaya Scodelario) swimming in an Olympic pool and coming in second place in her racing heat. You know she just needs the right motivation to swim faster. How about a giant alligator?
Haley travels to South Florida to find her missing father (Barry Pepper) in a  Category 5 hurricane. She finds him trapped, injured, in the basement of her childhood home with a big ass hungry alligator, the hurricane rain water rising and no hope of getting out. Enough said. Crawl is summer popcorn fun and if you watch it in that spirit, it will grab you and pull you deep under. Enjoy. Catch it at a discount cinema near you.

No comments:

Post a Comment