Monday, August 26, 2019

The Boys

Here are my thoughts on superhero movies: they mostly suck. Even the good ones are just okay for me. There are a few exceptions: I loved Christopher Nolan's Batman Trilogy. I enjoyed Ant-Man and the first Iron Man, but the Marvel Universe and the DC Universe have worn me down. I don't derive much joy out of them. So for me to highly recommend a superhero series, it has to be pretty darn good. If you haven't heard of and already binge-watched The Boys, this is your next series.
What's it about? Imagine if superheroes were real and living in America, and they were corporate - action figures, their faces on cereal boxes, etc. The Boys is a dark parody of not only superheroes, but of corporate America and the Christian right. This isn't for kids. It's graphic, violent, and profane. It's also smart, funny, and rather brilliant. It stars Jack Quaid (Meg Ryan and Dennis Quaid's kid), and has smaller roles by Elisabeth Shue and Simon Pegg as the big names attached. Catch it on Amazon Prime.

No comments:

Post a Comment